Skip to content ↓


When planning travel abroad, you may need a visa issued by the embassy of the country(ies) you intend to visit. Find out if you need one and how to get it.

Do I need a visa?

Whether you need a visa varies depending on your country of citizenship as well as what country(ies) you plan to visit. To find out if you need a visa in addition to your passport, enter your destination in the search bar on the U.S. Department of State’s country information page.

How do I get a visa?

A. Briggs is MIT’s preferred supplier for passport and visa processing; they can streamline visa and passport processing for members of the MIT community traveling on Institute business. They can secure expedited travel visas and passports as quickly as 24 hours for international travelers by working with the U.S. Passport Agency, foreign embassies, and consulates.

Use the MIT membership number (503758) to take advantage of discounted processing fees. For more information, visit the supplier profile on the MIT VPF site.

What about incoming visas for those traveling to MIT?

If you have questions about visas for hosting students or other visitors from abroad, please reach out to: