Skip to content ↓

Jump Start

Working or hiring abroad

This information will help members of the MIT community when they work on behalf of MIT outside of the U.S. or are involved with hiring someone else to do so.


  • Make sure the supervisor and DLC have approved of any international work.
  • Contact the International People Placement (IPP) team if the assignment to work abroad will last more than 30 calendar days.
  • Well in advance of the placement/trip, the DLC (on behalf of the employee) should submit an intake form (Word download) to the IPP team with details about what the work is and where it will be done.
  • Review the policy for working outside MA for more information on approvals and notifications.

Before travel

Conducting research

  • Review VPR’s guidance on export control and other issues relating to working and conducting research abroad.
  • For any activity where potentially hazardous materials and/or potentially dangerous equipment will be used, the Environment, Health and Safety Office (EHS) can assist.
  • For information and examples of the U.S. Government’s concerns regarding undue foreign influence, visit the Office of the Vice President for Research’s page on foreign engagements.

Sending students abroad

Need more help?

Linda Dionne

Linda Dionne

Program Manager